CAB looks for new faces

Te Awamutu Citizens Advice Bureau chair Lyn Stephens needs more volunteers to help.  

If you are the one people always looks to for help or advice, have highly-tuned problem solving skills and communicate well, then Te Awamutu needs you.

Local volunteers operate the Te Awamutu Citizens’ Advice Bureau in Alpha Street from Monday to Friday 9am to 3pm. It needs new volunteers to help the community.

Manager Jessica Brown says the bureau operates three shifts a day as so volunteers do not have to work all day. Most work 2 ½ hours – or one shift – a week.

Volunteers need to be friendly and inquisitive, she said.

“We need mature people with life experience and good communication skills to be trained as interviewers. Our interviewers deal with people either by phone or in person, coming from a wide variety of backgrounds and with a broad range of issues, and questions about their rights.”

Before volunteers deal with the public, they get full training.

“Once trained, they get access to our vast on-line database to answer any enquiries. No day is the same, and no caller the same, and as a volunteer it is always time to learn more.”

Here are some examples of recent enquiries handled by the Waipā teams in Cambridge and Te Awamutu:

  • A client’s drain was blocked where it crossed his neighbour’s property and he asked who was responsible for paying for it to be cleared, him or the neighbour?
  • If the blockage was caused by damage to the pipe on the neighbour’s side, it would be the neighbour’s responsibility.
  • A tenant from Wellington had no tenancy agreement and the landlord put their rent up, effective immediately. What could she do about it?
  • As there was no tenancy agreement Tenancy Services could not intervene. However, a tenant must get at least 60 days’ written notice of a rent increase. She responded in writing (an email is fine) stating she would continue paying the current rent for 60 days, and that she may take her case to the Disputes’ Tribunal for a ruling.
  • A caller had purchased a motor vehicle over Trade Me. The vehicle broke down after a few kilometres. The seller did not respond to emails.
    If the car was purchased from a car dealer via Trade Me, the buyer could make a complaint to the Motor Vehicle Trades’ Association who have a mediation and a disputes’ resolution service. If the seller had not been a registered dealer, the recourse would be via the Trade Me complaints process and the Disputes Tribunal.

More Recent News

What’s in a building’s name?

New Zealand-born cycling giant and now Swiss-owned cycling manufacturer Avanti will continue getting free publicity in Waipā, even though its 10-year naming rights deal with the Cambridge Velodrome has ended. The National Cycling Centre of…

Junior vaccinations start

More than 1220 Waikato tamariki were vaccinated against Covid-19 with the child version of the Pfizer vaccine on Monday. A Waikato DHB spokesperson said 43,766 children aged between 5 and 11 in the Waikato who…

Waipā rise continues

Economists might be predicting the house market will cool this year but for that to happen in Te Awamutu, Pirongia or Kihikihi, there would have to be “an awful lot more listings”, says real estate…

The story of the Betts girls 

Mary Anne Gill looks at the life and times of a prominent Waipā family.  Pam Eglinton, 88, may have moved from Kihikihi more than 60 years ago but still considers herself a ‘local’ girl. Pam…